Infinite loop checking password; use of available_connections in checkpassword

Hello list,

I have looked further into the bug fix posted below;
http://qmail-sql.digibel.be/archive/msg00414.html

It appears that available connections gets down to zero,
and it's never incremented anywhere. I am seeking comments on what the meaning of available connections is.

Is it that each connection is tried once, and if that connection fails, it tries another connection. If all connections fail, we should quit? (If this is the case, I have implemented this bug fix, the program will exit with temporary failure.)

Or should connection be retried when sql_open is recalled? if sql_close is called, should available_connections be reset to defined_connections?

Hopefully this makes sense. Also if someone could clarify the use of available_connections as well as the expected behaviour, that would be most appreciated.

Regards

Russell Smith