libpq.so.4 not found.

I am using netqmail 1.05 and PostgreSQL 8.0.3.  The application
compiles successfully, but when I qmail_getpw I received the error:

./qmail-getpw: error while loading shared libraries: libpq.so.4:

I have postgres installed in /usr/local/pgsql and sql.lib contained:
-L/usr/local/pgsql/lib -lpq when I compiled the application.  I am
sure I have more problems than just qmail-getpw, primarily smtpd.
Just wondering if anyone experienced a similar problem.

Jamie