problem with qmail-smtpd and 'This user has no Maildir'

I've got qmail built and installed, with the package in place to auto create user's homedir.

All tests run OK. qmail-getpw gets everything it's supposed to from the database.

I'm running qmail-smtpd from xinetd on RedHat 7.3 with the supplied xinetd.d/smtp script.

When I run 'qmail-smtpd' from the command line, and issue the "rcpt to: user@xxxxxxxxxxxx" I see qmail hit the database fine.

Problem 1: When I telnet to port 25 on the qmail server, which spawns the process from xinetd, but immediately closes the tcp connection as follows:
==============
# telnet mailhost 25
Trying 207.xxx.yyy.zzz...
Connected to mailhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
-ERR this user has no $HOME/Maildir
Connection closed by foreign host.
#

Any ideas on why i'm getting this?

Question 1:
how the heck do I debug the qmail processes? I don't see any debug options to run them as?

Thank you,
Dave