Checkpassword Problem, or not?

Dear List,

I'm just setting up my second machine with qmail-sql. I have compiled it
on my first maybe 10-15 times (that took time till all patches appplied
;)) so i'm no real newbie :)

But at all i've got a serious Problem:
I installed the qmail-sql_extra_patches Version, because of SMTP Auth.
All in all it works. I can authorize on my SMTPD very well and also send
emails to foreign hosts.

But at my POP3d it crashes:
#telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK <743.1051473815@host>
user test@host
+OK
pass mypassthatworksonsmtpd
-ERR aack, child crashed
Connection closed by foreign host.
#

When i call it from command-line:
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup vserver.ath.cx /bin/checkpassword pwd

It runs exactly in the same error.
Checkpassword is compiled correctly and works with the SMTPD

What I don't understand, is that on the SMTPD it works. But on the POP3d
not. Anyone got any idea?

Thank you in Advance!

Greetings,
Stephan