Re: Problem by compiling on rh 7.3

> > On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 02:13:20PM +0100, pginfo wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > I am tring to compile qmail-sql on rh 7.3 using pg 7.3.1
> > > I readet the installation guid before begin.
> > > I pached the qmail by trying to run make setup check (int the qmail src
> > > directory)
> > > the system returns:
> > >
> > > # make setup check
> > > ./install
> > > install: fatal: unable to write .../bin/qmail-remote: text busy
> > The error is caused by another qmail running at the same time you're compiling
> > and installing qmail-sql: make sure the other qmail isn't running anymore
> > before installing qmail-sql. In fact: remove it first, since you might
> > get conflicts between them.
>
> Before installing I stopped the qmail with qmailctl stop.Is it not good?
It stops qmail-send, which gently asks qmail-remote to stop: if qmail-remote
was still sending a message to another computer it won't get interrupted and
will stop after completing the transfer. So there's a pretty good chance it
will work now since the message will probably be sent. If not, you might
try 'killall -9 qmail-remote'.
Similary: make sure your qmail-smtpd doesn't run anymore: stop the superdaemon
spawning your qmail-smtpd's: tcpserver/inetd/xinetd. And also stop the
ongoing qmail-smtpd's with 'killall -9 qmail-send'.
It sounds rude, but qmail was designed to handle this situations ;)

> How to remove it?
"rm -rf /var/qmail" is very efficient.

> > > Pls., help me to correct the problem.
> > >
> > > Also I readet the srcipt for creating the data base.
> > > I think in pg 7.3.1 do not exists the type datatime.
> > > I changed it to timestamp. Is it correct?
> > I haven't yet tried PostgreSQL 7.3, but you can safely replace datetime
> > by timestamp: it will take slightly more space in the database but that's
> > the only impact i'm aware of.
> >

> > > Also I have anoder question: How stable will work qmail + qmail-sql as
> > > pop3 ?
> > I don't understand what you mean: would you run qmail as mta and
> > checkpassword-sql as pop3-daemon ?
> >

> I will to use qmail ( with postgreSQL) for: - smtp server for sending mail
>  - pop3 server for receiving mail from clients. Clients are not users for the
> linux. It will not have linux login and dir's.
>  - If possible for imap cliens and also with web-interface for checking and
> sending mail. But it will be in the future.

Checkpassword-sql will offer the POP3-functionality for qmail-sql. You might
also take a look at courier-imap: it offers a pop/pop-ssl/imap/imap-ssl
daemon which work with PostgreSQL and MySQL. If you need the WU-IMAP
server, you should take a look at the patches of Alex Howansky at
http://www.wankwood.com/getpg/index.html.