Re: trouble with non-existents users

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 12:32:17PM -0300, PAZ wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> 	I'm still having some trouble understanding alias users. I defined
> an alias user for every domain associated to my server, like documentation
> says. I also used this reply:
> http://qmail-sql.digibel.be/archive/msg00028.html
> as my main reference about this subject.
>
> 	When I send a mail to a non-existent user, to a domain with no
> .qmail-default file, I get an error message in my log, like this:
>
> delivery 36032: deferral:
> Unable_to_open_.qmail-nonexistent:_process_cannot_open_more_files._(#4.3.0)/
>
> 	I realise that this file (.qmail-nonexistent) don't exist, but I
> wonder if that entry in my log message is a regular thing, and also, why I
> don't get an error mail as a reply for sending a mail to a non existent
> address.
How many files are there in the homedirectory of that alias-user ? I've had
the same problem 2 years ago and it turned out that directory contained too
much files (well, directories in my case). That's one of the reasons
i added the dotqmails-table.
It also explains the absence of a reply: qmail won't bounce temporary
failures until queuelifetime has been exceeded. Wait 7 days and you'll
probably get a bounce ;)