New to qmail-sql: store password help

Greetings,
  I'm new to qmail-sql, so I'm asking an question that is obvious to
anyone who's been here a while, but I can't seem to find any tips in the
documentation.
  If I were to use qmail-sql, I would need to use qmail-popup for POP3
retrieval of mail for users. This requires password authentication.  The
qmail-sql docs state that the password needs to be stored encrypted.
Obviously we're not using a system passwd utility etc.  If I use the
patched checkpassword (qmail-sql version) for qmail-popup
authentication, what's the recommended way to encrypt a user's password
before storing it in the passwd table?  Is there a recommended
tool/method?

Thanks.