[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re[2]: Authentication problem.



On Wed, 17 Oct 2001 14:25:24 +0200 Michael Devogelaere <michael@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

MD> Hi,

MD> Did you already check the logfiles ? You should see something like:
MD> ... checkpassword: Received authentication-request for ...
MD> Perhaps your emailclient 'forgot' to send the '@2.com' part in the login-name ?
MD> Some clients do such things ... And just to make sure: could you check
MD> the pass for hparker with 
MD>   perl -e "print crypt(supposed_password, encrypted_password)" 
MD> It will return the encrypted_password and that one should be exactly the
MD> same as the one in the database. 

        I'm using the same password for all of the accounts, and all of the
crypt's in the db are the same.. I tried the above command, and I must not
have  enough coffee yet this morning, I got divide-by-zero errors.. But,
perl -e "print crypt(password, pa)" gave me the same crypted password, and
is the command I used to originally crypt the password when I put it in the
db.. Here's a piece of /var/log/maillog:

Oct 16 22:48:51 saturn checkpassword: Received authentication-request for testing3
Oct 16 22:48:51 saturn checkpassword: Authentication failed: no such user/domain
Oct 16 22:52:06 saturn checkpassword: Received authentication-request for testing-1.com
Oct 16 22:52:06 saturn checkpassword: Authentication failed: no such user/domain
Oct 16 22:52:23 saturn checkpassword: Received authentication-request for testing3.1.com
Oct 16 22:52:23 saturn checkpassword: Authentication failed: no such user/domain
Oct 16 22:52:47 saturn checkpassword: Received authentication-request for testing3@xxxxx
Oct 16 22:53:36 saturn checkpassword: Received authentication-request for testing2
Oct 16 22:53:36 saturn checkpassword: Autentication succeeded
Oct 16 23:26:42 saturn checkpassword: Received authentication-request for tst
Oct 16 23:26:42 saturn checkpassword: Authentication failed: no such user/domain
Oct 16 23:26:54 saturn checkpassword: Received authentication-request for testing2
Oct 16 23:26:54 saturn checkpassword: Autentication succeeded
Oct 16 23:27:12 saturn checkpassword: Received authentication-request for testing3
Oct 16 23:27:12 saturn checkpassword: Authentication failed: no such user/domain
Oct 16 23:37:11 saturn checkpassword: Received authentication-request for testing3@xxxxx

        And that's the end of the logfile.. In /var/qmail/pop3/current I
have:


@400000003bcd0acb055a5e74 tcpserver: status: 0/40
@400000003bcd0aef2033fee4 tcpserver: status: 1/40
@400000003bcd0aef2044a0b4 tcpserver: pid 577 from xxx.xxx.xxx.10
@400000003bcd0aef2044eed4 tcpserver: ok 577 0:xxx.xxx.xx.10:110 :xxx.xxx.xxx.10::1033
@400000003bcd0b012e54d50c tcpserver: end 577 status 256
@400000003bcd0b012e5507d4 tcpserver: status: 0/40
@400000003bcd7cd41320cffc tcpserver: status: 1/40
@400000003bcd7cd413298e44 tcpserver: pid 907 from xxx.xxx.xx.10
@400000003bcd7cd41331eecc tcpserver: ok 907 0:xxx.xxx.xx.10:110 :xxx.xxx.xx.10::1076
@400000003bcd7ce3211d498c tcpserver: end 907 status 256
@400000003bcd7ce3211e6a9c tcpserver: status: 0/40
@400000003bcd7d272d1d81d4 tcpserver: status: 1/40
@400000003bcd7d272d29552c tcpserver: pid 912 from xxx.xxx.xx.10
@400000003bcd7d272d32d2dc tcpserver: ok 912 0:xxx.xxx.xx.10:110 :xxx.xxx.xx.10::1077
@400000003bcd7d5237bd284c tcpserver: end 912 status 256
@400000003bcd7d5237bd5efc tcpserver: status: 0/40

        The status is always 256.. Testing2 worked fine.. I added testing3
as the other account I was using had a system account, and I wanted to make
sure that wasn't messing with anything.. In the above tests, testing3 never
got in.. testing2 of course is part of the main domain, and never has a
problem.. As you can see, I tried multiple ways to get in with testing3,
and none were succesful.. I'm just "telnet localhost 110" and issueing USER
and PASS commands, and it immedietly dumps me to the prompt:

Escape character is '^]'.
+OK <907.1003322570@xxxxxxxx>
USER testing3@xxxxx
+OK 
PASS password
-ERR authorization failed
Connection closed by foreign host.

        I tried to find a way to debug the connection, but... I'm still
learning MySQL and haven't quite got that figured out yet.. I recompiled
with debugging turned on, but that only works in the interactive shell, not
for all connections.. Well, at least I haven't figured it out yet..

        This is running qmail 1.30, checkpassword .90, MySQL 3.23.38 on a
RedHat 6.2 box... I had to manually apply the patch to checkpassword, but
it all seemed to go ok.. Then again, I'm not much of a programmer either ;)

--
Homer Parker (The Bogus One)
 
http://www.homershut.net
telnet://bbs.homershut.net

This e-mail message is 100% Microsoft free!

WARNING: THIS ACCOUNT BELONGS TO A RABID
ANTI-SPAMMER NET-NAZI DOT-COMMUNIST.

   /"\
   \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign
    X      Against HTML Mail
   / \