Re: qmail-pgsql, checkpassword and imap

Hi list,

some more elements about accessing via imap to a Maildir repository when the
users are stored in a postgresql database...

I haven't tried the University of Michigan imap server (the one Michael uses)
because :

* it does not come, in any manner, with any official Maildir support

* the Maildir patches are bugged (when you create a new folder for example, the
new folder isn't in Maildir format buf in mailbox.. Annoying...

* patches exist that patch the Maildir patches but, without any try, you never
know.

* Then it becomes necessary to patch the imap server for pgsql support. Where
is the configuration ? Is it hard coded ?

On the other hand, courier-imap supports the Maildir format natively, and is
(much) more performant thant UW-imap.

So, I needed to get courier-imap authenticating against a postgresql
database... Done !

Thanx to the same guys who wrote getpg, using libpam-pgsql and libnss-pgsql,
you can do the trick, and it works great !

* libpam-pgsql works great, but cannot bind to a remote database, and that's a
major problem. I'm confident we will fix it soon.

* libnss-pgsql, as is, works but the configuration is hardcoded. So we modified
libnss-pgsql so that it gets its configuration in a conffile
(/etc/libnss-pgsql) where you can configure everything. I've got a debian
package, compiled against potato. I would be very pleased to give the code
and/or the package away (plus it is under GPL).

Then you can use courier-imap with the authpam module. (It may not be that hard
to write a authpgsql module for courier-imap, but that way is easier and
faster).

In conclusion, we have to add remote binding capabilities to libpam-pgsql and
we're done.

Philippe

--
Philippe BARNETCHE

AGISphere
14, Boulevard Vital Bouhot
92200 NEUILLY/SEINE
01 47 45 99 92
06 10 01 68 11

"He who sacrifices functionality for ease of use
loses both and deserves neither."